Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Icons

I like simple shapes; figure and ground compositions. Two dimensions are as far as I usually like to go. I've used many iconic shapes in past quilts: stars, hearts, daisies, butterflies, spirals.  While I still plan to work with with some of these shapes, I want them to look less like the iconic versions and more abstract.

Abstraction is fun. How does one stretch the shape, reduce the shape, simplify the shape to render it in a new way? Rendering a butterfly that looks just like a real butterfly is an exercise in technical drawing that I just don't have the patience for. Photography exists.

Here's a butterfly from a past big quilt. I'm working on some new ideas for butterfly parts, but free daylight hours have been in short supply lately.




No comments:

Post a Comment