Monday, February 2, 2015

the shelf project - part one

FLTQ is starting a tiny side project. It started with a new office, an empty bookshelf that came in that office and a co-worker's suggestion to decorate said bookshelf. At first, the word "decorate" raised up an emotional barrier. I don't decorate anymore. I'm so over decorating. Harrumph. That was something I did when I had a big house and shelter magazines to pour over. Who needs to spend hard-earned money on that crap taking up space and gathering dust?

Not so fast, partner. The urge to play with spaces is always going to be in me. I still cruise over to Apartment Therapy and Dwell more often than I'd like to admit. But how does one "decorate" a bookshelf? I don't want to spend oodles of cash. I don't want to acquire more stuff. I certainly don't need any books at work.

And so it begins. A series of temporary, tiny art exhibits will inhabit the shelf. They may be built from found objects, paper crafts, fiber, or who-knows-what. They will be trashed or sold when it's time for them to move on.

Here is the placeholder piece, while I build the first collection. (Disclaimer: not the actual shelf at work, this is home, where the light was better)


No comments:

Post a Comment