Tuesday, August 5, 2014

motion in a static context

Two dimensional drawings like mine tend to be very static. I get really stuck in the static images (pun intended). For a long time I was enamored of the circle in square for its simplicity, now it seems too still. Maybe life on the move gives me more permission to be wiggly. 

Showing intended motion is a challenge for me. I need to work through the overly stable, flat designs I keep drawing. Here are some ideas for things that move. Maybe by focusing on things that move, I can grow my designs away from the simple, boring shapes. Even if the finished piece shows that object in stillness, maybe the design can invoke the motion of the object.

Things:
Tails
Spirals
Arrows
Wheels
Wings
Fins
Pinwheels
Weather vanes

Forces:
Wind/Clouds
Waves
Lava Flows
Flames
Ripples

Effects:
Ovals, not circles
Leaning triangles
Focus off-center
Color changes
Perspective lines
Size changes - foreground/background

If only I could render drawings in appliqué.




No comments:

Post a Comment