Sunday, May 19, 2013

Waste not, want not

My mother, a product of the Great Depression, always said "Make do with what you have." Piecing small bits of fabric is one of the iconic crafts exemplified by her expression. Quilts were originally made from leftover fabric.

Unlike the old days, most of us now purchase new fabric for making quilts. Indeed, many of us purchase LOTS of new fabric for making future, someday quilts. A term for fabric collecting is "stash building". I had a bit of a small fabric stash when we moved aboard our sailboat, Red Ranger. While I would like to buy some new fabric and build up my stash, I need to use up what I brought aboard first.

Here is, then, the newest "stash consuming" quilt.



"Navel Gazing", 2013, 26.5" x 26.5", hand appliquéd, machine quilted, from a Jane Sassaman print and a pack of hand-dyed oranges (source unremembered) 

For sale, inquire for details - syndianne@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment